Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the Police Victim Services of British Columbia!

What is the difference between PVSBC and Police-based victim services?
PVSBC is a non-profit organization that supports police-based victim services programs throughout British Columbia. PVSBC does not provide frontline services to victims of crime and trauma. We support victim services volunteers and staff by liasing with government ministries on victim’s issues, providing network opportunities and specializied training to professionals working in the field.

What services do police-based victim services programs provide?

Please see “Victim Services Programs in British Columbia

How can someone access police-based victim services programs?

If this is an emergency, please call 9-11.

There are three ways to contact your local victims services program:
1) Call your local RCMP or Municipal Police Department and ask for victim services.
2) You can also call VictimLINK, 1-800-563-0808, for the phone number of a victim services program nearest to you
3) Please click here to access PVSBC’s Find a Service directory.

Can victim service programs give victims money to victims of crime?

No, victim services programs cannot give money to victims. Victim services programs can assist with applications for financial assistance and benefits under the Crime Victim Assistance Act. Programs may also advise of the options of applying for restitution and/or civil remedies.

Can the public access information held in police and/or victim service files?

Access to police and/or victim service files are governed by provincial and federal privacy laws.